Skip to main content

What I Came Home To

I just came home from my Empowerment Workshop tonight to find the sweetest and cutest picture if a 3 or 4 year old smiling Andrew. It was in one of those wallet protectors that parents and grandparents used to have before cell phones, I phones, digital cameras...etc. It was my father's and it had been in his shelf in the closet for years. As I continued to look through the pack, I found pictures of all of us. All of us as babies and a few of Andrew and me together from Kinder Photo. The last picture in the pack was my parents wedding photo in the beautiful black and white format. I adore the simplicity of black and white photos. The first picture and the whole pack, caught my breath and took it away for a minute, but I did not crumble into a pile of tears. But why does this always have to be on a Thursday. I was reminded that this beautiful soul was taken away and is taking care of all of us now just as we tried to do for him.

Death is so weird, it feels like the person is away and that you haven't talked to them in a while, but then you remember oh, I'll never have a never hug, kiss,fight, or talk about cats and candy bars. Even as I write this sentence I just saw a cat eye poke through my door and when I went to open the door and checked the hall and none of our cats were there. Spooky Dooky. Either that or the cat ran down the stairs faster than I could get to the door and check.

I just felt really sad and comforted by these early pictures of us at the same time. I was proud that I did not lose it, but I realize that from time to time I'm going to be stricken with overwhelming sadness.

This cute little book made me smile and proud of our family and our past, the 5 of us will always be a family. I said my eulogy Andrew will never walk alone. I sing this song "You'll Never Walk Alone" often and it's my message to Andrew and to all of us. Remember none of us are alone, no matter how bad we may feel.

All of this from a wallet book worth of baby pictures. Makes you think!! What will the children of the future feel about their childhood that's all over the internet and often not sacred any more. Some things are just better in a wallet and not out there for everyone to see. Some things such as wallet photos are sacred and scarce. Pity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Birthday Card to My Big Brother

                                                                                                                                   Nov. 19, 2017 Dear Andrew, This year I decided to write you a birthday card.  My boyfriend Ian, whom I've been with over a year and who I think you would like asked, "So do you guys give Andrew birthday cards?" My response was "No, we just don't." Ian then asked "Do you have a cake for him, because I want to honor him how you guys do. Would it be OK if I bought an ice cream for him to have at your mom's house after dinner on Sunday." (Yes, it's Sunday, November 19, 2017.)  See I told you, you would like him.  He's all about wanting to have ice cream cake. Oh, wait that's why does David likes him.  But enough about the ice cream cake that we are not having, or the cards, gifts,  and candles that we no longer do on your birthday.  Instead we go to Rick's and reminisce about the time we were lucky t

What It Really Feels Like

What does it really feel like to have a CHD? Well not great all the time. There's constant let down in life as doctors figure out how to treat us adults. There is a lot of trial and error medically based which is why I say I'm in 'Generation Guinea Pig'! My first memory was my mom changing my younger brother's diaper and telling me that when we got back home from vacation I was going for a cardiac cath. So I'm 4 1/2 years old. I don't recall crying which I was told I did but I already knew what a cath was it wasn't new to me. Neither was my addiction to Annie the Musical, my mothers voice or my desire to sing like them be on stage and be a mommy when I grew up. I wanted to sing and be a mom as a grown up and of course I'd have a cute husband. When mom, David and I walked to the beach my father was there with Andrew who was just told about my going to the hospital too. In those days we were pals and he found me a sea shell- my favorite.  31 years l

A YEAR WITHOUT MUSIC!

A YEAR WITHOUT MUSIC! This memory could not be more timely. April 5,2016 i had a major stroke. This Wednesday will be one year since my stroke. For the first 2 months all I could say to people was "I had a stroke" which sounded like stwoke . Music had not even occurred to me as I had many complications that were not directly associated with my stroke. But why am I sharing all of this information with you, is because the part of my brain that was affected or is it effected? Was language. I planned to sit down today at my computer which us still hard for me to do texting us easier with my right hand weakness. Oh I forgot to mention that I was temporary paralyzed on on right side for 24-48 hours. But "I had a stroke". I would have to l this year as a year without music. Couldn't recall what I'd forgotten and then sobbed when I remembered what I forgot without remembering the music, show, favorite singers... you name, I was like a blank slate. (Sir