Skip to main content

What It Really Feels Like

What does it really feel like to have a CHD? Well not great all the time. There's constant let down in life as doctors figure out how to treat us adults. There is a lot of trial and error medically based which is why I say I'm in 'Generation Guinea Pig'! My first memory was my mom changing my younger brother's diaper and telling me that when we got back home from vacation I was going for a cardiac cath. So I'm 4 1/2 years old. I don't recall crying which I was told I did but I already knew what a cath was it wasn't new to me. Neither was my addiction to Annie the Musical, my mothers voice or my desire to sing like them be on stage and be a mommy when I grew up. I wanted to sing and be a mom as a grown up and of course I'd have a cute husband.
When mom, David and I walked to the beach my father was there with Andrew who was just told about my going to the hospital too. In those days we were pals and he found me a sea shell- my favorite. 

31 years later I feel the same way and it's not for lack of trying I date, all the wrong men. I'm on disability and can't afford dating sites or be bothered to go out on dates with anymore racists and uneducated unemployed men. The online dating scene is one big online meat market that I feel as if I can't be bothered and might as well hang out in the butcher department. I can't carry a child and have a pregnancy. So there's more hurt and disappointment than I can express in a note typed on my phone so I'll just say it sucks!! I'll adopt no problem which took years to say but that's a lot to ask of a partner! I'm envious of my younger brother and cousins and quite frankly my friends. I was the girl held back for learning differences related to my CHD most likely so I was always 1-2 years older than people in my grade further making me feel different. If I need to feel that way there's a mirror to show all battle wounds.

Lastly I can't sing as well as I wanted to make a career out of it. Where my dreams just dreams from the start? I don't know? I've worked my ass like no one does and I'm back in the safety of my house for over 3 years. 

There are days when my big girl panties are stretched thin and I wait for the next shoe to drop, and days where I know who and what I am little Miss Wonder Woman who can do it all. But when you're tired and or tired and frustrated you realize this is not what you've strived for and it feels sad and lonely!

Sometimes it's too much for me to bare looking at my friends' adorable children because it drives a nail right into my heart. 

I'm trying to create a new reality but haven't figured what it is yet.  Suggestions are welcome as are matchmakers and a gene pool. But some of this has to come from me and I just need support on this journey. I believe everyday is precious and a new chance so I stick to that. 

But if you ever wanted a quick glimpse of what it's like these are the raw facts, definitely not the end! It kind of sucks!!  

These 3 dreams are fading faster everyday it's just the time in my life to let them go and it's extremely impossible!  
Till tomorrow - Ellie ❤️

Comments

  1. Hello Ellen,
    I just wanted to tell you that you are very strong and I know it isn't always easy. I am 35 years old and also have tricuspid atresia. I have some of the same limitations and frustrations as you describe, but I also try to always stay positive and appreciate the things I do have. By the way, that's awesome that you auditioned for America's Got Talent.

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Birthday Card to My Big Brother

                                                                                                                                   Nov. 19, 2017 Dear Andrew, This year I decided to write you a birthday card.  My boyfriend Ian, whom I've been with over a year and who I think you would like asked, "So do you guys give Andrew birthday cards?" My response was "No, we just don't." Ian then asked "Do you have a cake for him, because I want to honor him how you guys do. Would it be OK if I bought an ice cream for him to have at your mom's house after dinner on Sunday." (Yes, it's Sunday, November 19, 2017.)  See I told you, you would like him.  He's all about wanting to have ice cream cake. Oh, wait that's why does David likes him.  But enough about the ice cream cake that we are not having, or the cards, gifts,  and candles that we no longer do on your birthday.  Instead we go to Rick's and reminisce about the time we were lucky t

How Sick I Was For Almost a Year

This year was a hard one for my family. This year was not as hard as last year was, however, hard and emotional in different ways. I feel as if this year, I am the one who fought for my life. No one died. I did not have to eulogize anyone, Thank G-d! However, as stated in the title, I have been sick for almost a full year. It started in February, with a weight loss, but I eat healthy so I thought nothing of it. A month later in March, my belly started to fill up like never before. I began to look pregnant. I had migraines daily, and my belly got so big that my belly button inverted. I am not able or advised to have a baby so this was extra hard! Because I'm strong, and perform, I made up a clever story about my 'pseudo baby' as it was easier than telling people I was in heart failure and the doctors were fighting over whether it was my liver or my heart. This went on for 6 months. I had multiple belly taps, and the fluid, called ascites, would come back literally within